MATCH MAKING - THE RIGHT WAY
Astrology Match making should not be done by counting the stars of the bride and groom. Ashta kootas and kuja dosha are one side of the story. There are giant planets like Jupiter, Saturn, Mars, etc which should be given top priority. Vedic Astrology comparison of horoscopes of husband and wife according to Melaapakam or Guna melan along with consideration of kuja dosha is needed. Planetary friendship should be given highest importance over the above all.
The saying: Marriages are made in heaven is not correct. This is so interpreted by the people that the marriages of human beings are conducted in heaven by gods before the couple is sent to the earth. What on the earth we are doing is to reunite the same couple in the name of marriage! It gives an impression that you should welcome who ever comes into your life and there is no choice left to you to select your life partner.
The correct adage is: Marriages are made in heavens. Here ‘heavens’ means ‘zodiac’. Hence the correct meaning of this saying is that the marriages are to be fixed according to the zodiacs (horoscopes) of the couple. Then only the couple will have a congenial and long lasting married life. This is what is followed in India since Vedic times. Vedic Astrology helps to match the horoscopes of the couple to determine whether they are compatible to marry or not. This is called ‘Match making’ or ‘Guna melan’ or ‘Melaapakam’.
In Vedic Astrology, there are 3 factors considered in match making: 1. Ashta kootas (8 groups), 2. Kuja dosha (Ill effect of Mars), and 3. Relationship of planets. Here Asthta kutas is of least importance. But people in India are giving undue importance to Ashta kootas while neglecting the other two.
The Ashta kootas (8 groups)
While comparing the horoscopes of the couple, the following 8 factors are considered in North India:
1. Varna koota : It represents the nature of the individual, whether the person is soft or aggressive. Varna is given 1 point, if matches.
2. Vashya koota: It represents mutual attraction between the couple. If Vashya is there between the horoscopes, it is given 2 points.
3. Taara koota or Dina koota: It represents health and wellbeing of the couple. Maximum points given to this factor is 3.
4. Yoni koota: It represents sexual compatibility. Maximum points are 4.
5. Graha Maitri: It represents intellectual and spiritual levels of the couple. Upto 5 points are allotted for this.
6. Gana koota: It represents temperaments of the couple. Points allotted are 6.
7. Bhakoot or Rashi koota: It represents emotional compatibility of the couple. It should be judged for maximum points of 7.
8. Naadi koota: It represents the levels of Vaata (cold), Pitta (heat) and Kapha (phlegm) in the human body. These represent the health externally and metabolism internally. Same Naadi for the couple is not allowed. The maximum points allotted are 8 for this factor.
The preceding 8 factors thus total to 36 maximum points. Out of these, if the couple gets 18 points then marriage between the couple is recommended.
In addition to the above 8 factors, in South India the following 4 factors are also considered:
1. Mahendra koota: It represents longevity of the relationship.
2. Sthree Deergha koota: It represents children and grand children.
3. Rajju: It represents duration of the married life. The couple should not have same rajju.
4. Vedha: It represents power to drive away all misfortunes.
An understanding of all these 12 factors tell us that they are calculated based on Moon, Moon sign (Rasi) and the Moon star (Nakshatra) of the couple.
Kuja dosha (Ill effect of Mars)
If Mars is posited in 2nd, 4th, 7th, 8th and 12th from the Ascendant or Moon sign, then it is considered as Kuja dosha. Kuja dosha in a horoscope represents one of the couple will face ill health, accidents or may die early, especially when Mars is in 7th or 8th houses. When matching the horoscopes, if Kuja dosha is found in both the horoscopes of the couple, then its bad effects will be neutralized, but not cancelled. So it is advised that a person with Kuja dosha should marry another person with the same intensity of Kuja dosha.
>>> Click here to get your horoscope read by the best Astrologer from India <<<
Relationship of planets
The most important factor while deciding the match is to look for friendship and harmony between the planets of the horoscopes of the couple (boy and girl). The following points are noteworthy:
1. The Ascendants of the boy and girl should be in good positions to each other. It means they should be in the places 1-7, 3-11, and 5-9. They should not be in bad positions like 2-12, 4-10 or 6-8. For example, the boy’s Ascendant is Taurus. Then, a girl whose Ascendant is Taurus (1), Cancer (3), Virgo (5), Scorpio (7), Capricorn (9) or Pisces (11) is suitable for him.
2. The Ascendant lords should be in friendly aspect like 3-11 or 5-9. For example, the boy’s Ascendant is Taurus. Its lord is Venus. The girl’s Ascendant is Capricorn whose lord is Saturn. If Venus and Saturn are posited in 3rd and 11th positions or in 5th and 9th locations from each other, then they are compatible.
3. The Moon signs (Rasis) of the boy and girl should be in good positions like 3-11 and 5-9. They should not be in 1-7, 2-12, 6-8, 4 -10 positions.
4. The lords of the Moon signs (Rasis) should be in friendly positions like 3-11 or 5-9.
5. General kaarakas (significators) for marriage are Moon and Venus in the boy’s horoscope and Sun and Mars in the girl’s horoscope. So there should be good aspect between Moon in the boy’s horoscope and the Sun in the girl’s horoscope. It means they can be in 3-11 or 5-9 positions. This represents psychological compatibility. Similarly there should be good aspect between Venus in boy’s horoscope and Mars in girl’s horoscope. It means they can be in 1-7, 3-11, or 5-9 positions. This leads to sexual compatibility.
6. The Moon position in the boy’s horoscope should be in good aspect like 3-11 or 5-9 with the Moon position in the girl’s horoscope. This represents like-mindedness and emotional compatibility. For example, if the boy’s Moon sign is Gemini and the girl’s is Leo then they are suitable.
7. When considering from boy’s Ascendant, there should not be any bad planet (Saturn, Mars or Uranus) in the girl’s horoscope which forms bad aspect with the boy’s Ascendant. For example, the boy’s Ascendant is Aries. In the girl’s horoscope, Uranus is in Libra. Then the girl’s Uranus is forming opposition to boy’s Ascendant. This represents separation of the couple if married.
8. Bad planets like Saturn, Mars, or Uranus in the 7th or 8th houses in an individual horoscope generally indicate unhappiness in married life and separation of the couple or early death of the partner.
Points or Planets?
In my experience, I have seen several people giving importance only to points obtained from Ashta kootas (8 groups) thus neglecting the other factors in deciding the match. They take a Panchanga (Almanac) where a table is found with birth stars and points related to Ashta kootas. They look at the birth stars of the girl and the boy in the table and if the points given are below 18, immediately refusing the match at hand. In this way, I have seen many families losing excellent matches just because of their ignorance. Half knowledge is more dangerous than no knowledge!
There are many cases where the couples got separated immediately after the marriage, even though the points are more than 18. I have also seen horoscopes where the points are very less but still the couples have very good married life with all the peace and prosperity in life. The reason is those horoscopes have affinity of planets. Points are not at all important because they are based only on Moon, a single planet. When we take all the planets, then only we will get a true picture. Relationship of planets should be given importance over anything else. So, it is strongly advised that the couples should contact a competent Astrologer to know the compatibility but not their old grand parents or pujaris (priests) who see only the birth stars and pronounce a decision.
Case Study on Match making
Husband’s details: 31-12-1978, 11.45 AM at 80E27, 16N18.
Wife’s details: 22-10-1987, 4.15 AM at 80E35, 16N15.
Husband’s birth star is Uttarashadha – 3rd quarter and Wife’s birth star is Chitta – 1st quarter. Based on the stars, the points obtained in Ashta kootas are 16.5 out of 36. There are 0 points obtained in Vashya, Gana and Bhakoot. Since minimum points of 18 are not achieved, any body would advise them not to marry. The girl has Mars in the Ascendant which is not counted as Kuja dosha. But the boy has Kuja dosha when counted from Moon sign.
They were married in May 2004 and ever since living happily with their two children who are doing well. Why? Planets are important than points. Let us see the relationship of planets in their horoscopes:
1. The boy’s Ascendant is in 1-7 location to the girl’s Ascendant indicating mutual attraction.
2. Venus in the boy’s horoscope is forming 3-11 aspect with the Mars in girl’s horoscope. This represents healthy sexual life.
3. The Moon in the boy’s horoscope is forming 5-9 aspect with the Moon in girl’s horoscope, thus representing like-mindedness.
4. The Sun in the boy’s horoscope is forming 3-11 aspect with the Sun in girl’s horoscope. This represents harmony at the soul level.
5. Rasi lord in the boy’s horoscope is Saturn who is in good aspect 3-11 with the Rasi lord Mercury in girl's horoscope.
From the above, we can conclude that even though the points are less, the couple is leading a happy life because of the friendly relationship of planets in their horoscopes.
>>> Click here to know your future from Astrology or Palmistry <<<